June 06, 2005

And Then They Came for Me

With apologies to Martin Niemoller.
http://www.liv-coll.ac.uk/pa09/europetrip/brussels/neimoller.htm

First they came for the trade unions, and I did not speak out, because I was not a trade unionist -- Since the 1950s, trade union ranks have shrunk by two-thirds and they are targeted for extinction

And then they came for the gays and lesbians and I did not speak out, because I was not a gay man -- The religious right is waging a fervent war on gay rights and gay people with the intent of making them extinct.

Then they came for the lawyers, and I did not speak out -- because I was not a lawyer. -- The rightwing views plaintiff's attorneys as "the Devil's spawn," and lawsuits against corporations, jury awards, and bankruptcies are targeted for extinction.

Then they came for the judges, and I did not speak out, because I was not a judge. Responsible judges and independent courts are anathema to the right and are targets for extinction.

Then they came for the Congress, and I did not speak out, because I did not vote. A free and independent Congress has been buried in a mountain of money and corruption, and is already close to extinction.

Then they came for the media, and I did not speak out, because I don't read much. A free, independent, questioning press is bought and paid for. Extinct.

And then they came for me, and I didn't notice because I was watching reality TV and eating a Big Mac.

No comments: