Of course, it's a crock of first rate bull.
Harper is Bush's kinda guy.
- He is opposed to gay marriage, abortion, even civil unions.
- He is opposed to trade unions, in favor of tax cuts, and wants a bigger Canadian military.
- Harper opposes the Kyoto Protocol on global warming (taking the chill off George Bush's cold, cold cockles).
- He opposes "death taxes," the same Bush euphemism for the inheritance tax (let's not even hint at any classism or inequity in either American or Canadian society).
- He supported US President George Bush's war in Iraq, calling the Canadian position "abrasively neutral."
- He supported George Bush's US Anti-ballistic defence shield.
Harper's words and positions on a whole host of issues is scary and revealing.
The Conservatives have won 120 seats (36% of the vote) in the new Parliament, the Liberals 104 seats (30% of the vote), the Block Quebecois has 51 seats, and the very progressive New Democratic Party (which actually saw a gain) has 29.
The Conservatives do not have a majority and need to find a coalition to rule.
Let's hope that any coalition partners extract commitments from Harper that will rein in his most extreme ideas and policies.